Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Dirty Picture

I went to see The Dirty Picture with lot of apprehensions. Not just because it is loosely based on the life of legendary late Silk Smitha who I kind of developed respect and certain degree of fondness lately, also that the film is set in the 80's, the decade very close to my heart. 80's was the decade which made me what I am today. My growing years.

80's Indian Film industry which which I think was to certain extent a golden era in it's own right or at least for me. People called 80's films fake and superficial often comparing it to an adolescent phase of maturity in terms of subject and technology or even infancy. When Hollywood had directors like Spielberg and films like Top Gun and E.T, we had southern films with dancing sirens and paunchy heroes. Still there was certain honesty in those films which I felt sadly got lost in 90's.

That was the era of Amithabh, Sridevi, Jeetendra, Bappi Lahiri and south brigade. Then there was Silk. The siren, the vamp who rose to phenomenal heights of mass popularity. Silk was quintessential sex symbol of the era. Totally non-apologetic. Lady who lived on her terms and defined the sexuality of the nation for decades to come. Still we do see the streaks of Silk in every actress in Bollywood today.

My apprehensions about the film was not totally unfounded. They managed to capture the zest of Silk's personality. Her care-a-damn attitude towards conservative "intellects". Lady ahead of her times. However there was certain awkwardness in the portrayal of the southern atmosphere. Some minor and to a certain extent major details could have taken care better. Silk excelled in those vampish dance numbers which were popularly referred as cabaret in India. There was none in the film. Instead there was a duet which reminisces then popular duets between hero and heroine.

But hey, no more complaints. The film despite of flaws was very entertaining and scored high for some honest performances by the lead actress Vidya Balan. Not my favourite but nevertheless worthy.

At last Silk got a worthy tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment